There is a fascinating thread going on on one of the email lists I'm on about "The Mid-Year Slump," which some simply call the holidays. I haven't posted to it. I actually have this thing about not becoming too much of a homeschooling persona on these lists, I guess some of it is also a feeling of inexpert inadequacy ("Low Self-Esteem" is another name folks use), and some of it is that I reserve my right to change my mind about who I am and how I do things, so I hate to set myself out there saying one thing when maybe I'll feel differently about it in a few weeks. But it all comes out to that persona thing. We get to 'know' these people who post frequently and throw it all out there, and I had made a solemn promise to myself when I began homeschooling that I was not going to obsess about it and let the contemplation of it consume my life in the way, say, infertility did when I was going through it. I lived it, breathed it, meta-analyzed it, wallowed in it online, and it had an incredible capacity to suck my entire life away for days at a time. I think I always suspected that if I became an online researching, support-grouping homeschool junkie, I'd never actually get around to, well...homeschooling.
I've digressed again. This thread was from a person who sounded fairly new to homeschooling--typical story of a 4th grader who isn't relishing "learning" the way that we theoretically hoped they would when we made this decision to homeschool. Others, less afraid of sticking themselves out there, responded reassuring that this was normal, that many families take big breaks at this time, that breaks are refreshing, that changing curricula can be energizing, that we're learning all the time, that a schedule or a promise of fun after the work is done might help. All the usual stuff. I'm not sure what I would say on the topic, but I guess I'm going to try to say it anyway.
I'm in that position. If I can be perfectly blunt and honest, I'd say that I'm in a bit of a slump myself. I am having a harder and harder time lately figuring out why I'm doing this homeschooling thing, what benefit I am perceiving that is making it worthwhile. There's a column for the pro and con, as usual, but my pro column is feeling a bit scant lately. Originally, my impetus to homeschool was a rather liberal one. I could see that my oldest two were a bit divergent in their thinking, that they might not be a good fit for a traditional elementary school. I could see the parental politics, the PTA stress, the cliques that begin right with the adults, the expectations driven by standardization, and I felt this wasn't what I wanted for us, that this wouldn't be a fit for us as a whole. But then I started reading all the lofty stuff--the self-directed learners who find passions and follow them voraciously, the time for family relationships to be truly fostered and for us to all truly know one another from quantity time together, the outside the box means of experiencing the world, the potential for opportunities that children in a building for most of their day might not have, the ability to play to the strengths and find success there, the freedom of it all.
Enter Reality, stage right. I'm certainly not saying it's not all roses. We know that. Make it through the first three weeks of homeschooling, and you'll at least have a whiff of that one. But right now, my goals are becoming a little more concrete, a little more mainstream. I want them to be prepared to apply to a good university. I want them to be competitive with peers who have been educated in a wide variety of systems. I want them to have opportunities to achieve in the mainstream world if they choose that, and, I no longer blush to admit, I kind of want them to achieve some in that world. I'm having to continually convince myself that homeschooling is going to provide a path to those ends, a path I can trust.
The path of top private schools, the path of top public schools--that path is well-trodden. Every single year, dozens of students there go off to good universities, they have interesting and varied C.V.s and have had many experiences. Homeschoolers can often sound like they have the corner on the market when it comes to experiences--the old "other kids are trapped in a box and never see the light of day or have an independent thought." But the thing is, there are some opportunities out there, they're close to home, and they are often logistically efficient. Rather than driving hither and yon to get art, band, Latin, a science class, this, and that, there are places that offer all of that and more in one convenient building, often with transportation right to the door.
I'm probably just being my Type A self, but I find myself worrying more and more that they aren't getting the top-notch education that I want them to have. Or that they aren't capable of what I have in mind (that's a scarier thought, one I am not often bold enough to explore too deeply). It's just a fact that life often gets messy, that a day starts slipping away, that we don't get to the hardcore academics that seem so important to me right now. I find myself thinking more and more that things march forward in a school, that maybe that's actually a good thing. That they have opportunities to learn independent work skills, that more subjects are covered more days. That there may be more order and may be inspiring teachers who would push them to do their best. I'm having an especially rough time with what I feel is the chaos of a lot of the homeschool activities we do. I kind of want what I want, and when I'm not getting it, or I'm getting it with a lot of static, I'm more anxious now to streamline, to boil things down to what's working because the days are short and what I'd like us them to cover is long.
The kids, of course, are asking when the break starts. They can't be fooled the way they were when they were younger. Then again, when they were younger, they had a much more slack mama. We weren't that regular anyway, so the break was just more of the same. They have been hopefully begging for a reprieve from all work for the past two weeks, and in my head, I'm calculating how many days we will need in order to finish our current math book with its 120 lessons (we're on 74, which means that if we get the work done tomorrow we'll have 45 days left, but there are two days off from every weekend, and Mondays are more or less shot, and....). Then I think, well, maybe we'll be stronger than ever after some time to recharge, and absence makes the heart grow fonder, or maybe the brain stronger, when it comes to decimals and geometry.
I think the truth is, the break is starting whether I planned it or not. Tomorrow morning is the much-anticipated A Christmas Carol performance, followed by the kids' party in the afternoon for our homeschool group, followed, it would seem, by our first good snowfall of the season. It looks likes our church group Christmas party/dinner out and Frances's pre-production-week Big Dance Rehearsal are going to be cancelled. But there's little time to get much done of what looks like "school." And by Monday, except for the Latin class they have in the morning, we're falling headlong into the break.
I'm sure that there's much good that will happen in that time. Somehow I seriously doubt that we're just going to have tons and tons of time on our hands, like I'm imagining, though I hope that we do. I'm dying to play a lot of board games, some of the games they got last Christmas that we haven't had time to even try yet, which is a sad, sad commentary on the busyness of our life. We are reading so many good books lately, and I hope that there will be more time for that. Walter is reading Mr. Popper's Penguins after Frances read it for her Non-Book-Club this past week. She's in an in-between stage with the book club she had been in, where she is deeply offended at being placed with the 5 and 6 year olds, but didn't seem to make the cut for the girls her own age. So we had her get together with a friend to discuss a book and have the shared reading experience that she loves so much. Now she's reading Charlotte's Web (alternating chapters with me) and a graphic novel about squirrels or something like that and an adaptation of the Nutcracker and the book that I've assigned her as her official "reading" assignment. We all just finished reading the original of A Christmas Carol, since the story is fairly short for Dickens, an author that they love that we don't often make very swift progress in. The boys and I are reading Crispin, the Cross of Lead together (a book that I've had out of the Henrico Library since October and which is ridiculously overdue because I can't seem to get myself out there), and we have been listening to Shakespeare's Secret in the car and are almost done. Ollie is reading a Susan Cooper book that involves flashbacks or time travel or something to the Tudor age, and we all just finished Chasing Lincoln's Killer. So yeah, we're kind of all over the map, studying Shakespeare (we did Hamlet a few weeks ago), the Tudor age, the Civil War, Victorian London, and the Middle Ages. I have to constantly remind myself that this breadth has to count for something, that it's probably more than they would be getting if they were in a more structured school situation, and it's probably more reading than they would be getting done if our life looked a lot different.
It occurs to me now that it could snow and life could be shut down for a while, and I'm woefully unprepared for Christmas for some people in the family. I'm still a bit stumped for Ollie, and it's only a week until Christmas. No, he's not getting a Rolex. Probably not getting a new flute. Not getting the violent video game he asked for. The crisp $100 bill idea isn't the worst I've heard. It also occurs to me, as I'm sitting here way past midnight, that though I thought tomorrow was "free" until we go to the play, that actually I'm getting up bright and early for Spongebob School tomorrow (speech). Yikes! I better run before I really do lose all of tomorrow!
Thursday, December 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment