Have I mentioned just how crazy I am about the librarian who runs the middle school book club at our local library? Her picks are absolutely spot on every single time. We haven't had a dud yet, and better yet, every single one becomes practically our favorite book ever. We're always a bit behind the 8 ball in getting the book, so we're frequently binge reading on Monday and Tuesday before the meeting, but good grief, this current book is awesome. I only wish that I had had a relationship with someone who could have directed me to great reads when I was my kids' age!
This month's book is "The Loud Silence of Francine Green," and it is an absolute riot--very funny and smart and informational and lovable. It is about a "good" Catholic girl who befriends a more outspoken, edgy, political girl who questions authority and gets into all kinds of trouble with the nuns at her school. It is set during the beginning of the Cold War in 1949-50, so it has all the best elements of historical fiction, a coming-of-age novel, and humor. We've ready so many World War II books, so this one is a welcome step forward in time, and our chatting about the book is a distraction that we can scarce fit in because of the time crunch. I can't wait to finish it tomorrow!
With all three kids, I read a little more than half of "Sarah Whitcher's Story," which is another one of the Sonlight books that we had not been able to get our hands on. What a great little book--suspenseful, yet you know it's all going to be okay in the end, a good historical context, and characters who are likeable and show a strong sense of community. It's a quick read and is right up Frances's alley, although she is vocally starting to question why every novel takes place in the 1800s...and why there are so many fires. I guess this is what happens when you follow a book list that is themed!
Tomorrow is the first non-snowday in a long time. I wonder if we'll remember how to do our regular life?
Monday, February 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment