It's over. Another Poinsettia season. Our second, but probably not our last, at least I hope not.
We all have a big decision on our plates. Frances has indicated, when we asked, that she would prefer to drop out of gymnastics and do unlimited dance classes. This would mean that she could take ballet and flamenco, ballroom and capoiera, Zumba and yoga. There are so many possibilities! And it's not that far, and it costs less. Not quite as bloody as gymnastics, at least I don't think (her one dance instructor now, who also was a gymnast and a coach, describes gymnastics as a "bloody, brutal sport" where "the only thing sparkly about it is the leotard."). Simplified. But me, the mother, the one who isn't the one on the mats, is not ready to let go. I know, it seems like a no brainer. Cheaper. More time-efficient. She unequivocably wants dance. But what about the wisdom of staying with something for an extended period? What about the possible things she hasn't explored yet? What is she is losing some big opportunity to shine in something that is perfect for someone with her body shape and size? What if I'm pushing her too much because of my own "issues?"
Kerry's parents came up today to see the show, and her friend Lainey was there, too. It was all very exciting. Frances lives in the moment, and she's the type of person who savors every minute of it and wants to repeat it forever. She kept saying that she wants them to perform this show every day, seemingly indefinitely. I'm not so sure about that for the long term, but this is an outstanding outlet for someone with Frances's energy level. When she was in NC for the school performance, when the one hour show was over, she asked the director, "Is that all? But I didn't even sweat!" And that's the motto of Frances.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment