According to the dominant media, yesterday was Black Friday, but to a smaller contingent, it is known as Buy Nothing Day. What's kind of fascinating to me is that if you start googling Buy Nothing Day, at first, you'll think you understand the gist of the so-called holiday. But after a while, you'll run into Buy Nothing Day parody sites, or at least I think they were parody sites. And after that, it was extremely difficult for me to read the tone of anything I was reading about both buying nothing, nothingness, and taking the message to the streets. That's the trouble with some of this social consciousness raising--the line between sensibility and joke are mercilessly blurred.
At any rate, whatever Buy Nothing Day is and whatever the point of it may be, I celebrated it yesterday by staying home, playing games, taking the dog for a walk, eating, reading to the kids, and actively avoiding spending money ;)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment